Like many students right now, you may be wondering “what are my options for the fall?” Whether you were already planning a Gap Year and are not sure what to do because travel options are limited, or are not sure that you want more online classes, please know there are many Gap Year options for the fall, including domestic programs and travel, local activities, and virtual options.
Our core service is the Gap Year Plan, which helps students map out their Gap time and suggests activities and experiences to meet their goals and budget. Depending on students’ interests, this includes introducing them to specific vetted programs. Domestic programs are available for fall 2020, and we are already incorporating these into Gap Year plans for our students. It is possible that international programs will begin running again in spring 2021.
Many of our students are looking to stay in their communities this fall. This limits the experiential options available to them, and increases the need for good virtual options. As we looked around, we did not see many options for virtual activities structured for the needs and goals of Gap Year students. So we created ImagineU.
What is ImagineU?
ImagineU complements in-person local activities that Gap Year students build with the help of Gap Year Solutions, or on their own. ImagineU recognizes the importance of social connection, and engaging the curious minds of our teens. 1:1 coaching helps ensure students have a structured plan for the semester, and creates accountability. ImagineU is designed to be engaging and to create community. We want to spark ideas, stimulate curiosity, and help students imagine possibilities! More details on ImagineU are available here.
Being able to connect with other gap year students virtually definitely opened my eyes to so many parts of the world through stories and connections…my gap year definitely prepared and helped me navigate the world, and especially during a hard time like this.Zach Herman, Gap Year Solutions student, Spring 2020
If you would like to learn more about how we help students plan their Gap Year experience, please submit your information here. We will schedule a phone call to get introduced, tell you our basic approach to Gap Year planning, and see if you would like to arrange an initial consultation.
Following this phone call, we will schedule a one hour Initial Consultation with the student and at least one parent to review the student’s responses to our Gap Year Questionnaire, answer more detailed questions about Gap Years, options during COVID and ImagineU, and establish budget and boundaries for your Gap Year planning process. The fee for the Initial Consultation is $100.
We ask all families considering working with Gap Year Solutions to review our Essential Eligibility Criteria (EEC) as part of this process.
Packages & Fees
Initial Consultation: $100
Please complete the Gap Year Questionnaire before our scheduled meeting.
Gap Year Plan: $1,800
A successful Gap Year depends on articulating interests and goals, and building these into a well thought out plan. Gap Year Solutions listens to the needs and interests of each student, and works closely with the student and family to structure customized Gap Year activities. Our experience working with students and families, research with program educators, vetting of activities and program options including site visits, and feedback from hundreds of students who have completed Gap Years help us develop Gap Year plans tailored to each student’s individual situation.
For the Gap Year Plan, Gap Year Solutions:
- meets with the student and family in-person (if appropriate) and via email / text / phone to further explore the student’s interests and goals, advise students of additional requests and questions to shape options.
- prepares initial ideas for how the student may wish to spend their Gap Year time, including internships, paid work, service work, travel, language study and other experiences. For Fall 2020, we will work with students to identify activities in their local community and throughout the U.S., assuming that international travel will remain limited. If students are interested in domestic travel, Gap Year Solutions will suggest options within the U.S. including structured programs and independent travel experiences. For Spring 2021, our hope (and planning assumption) is that more international travel options will be available.
- conducts additional research and consultation with Program Directors and others as needed,
- vets specific options to fit within the proposed plan and budget, and
- delivers a plan consistent with the student’s interests, goals, timing and budget.
The Gap Year Plan requires students to complete a questionnaire about their experience at the end of the Gap Year.
Gap Year Plan
ImagineU is a semester-long set of structured virtual activities that complement local jobs, local service opportunities and volunteer work, and other traditional activities organized as part of the student’s Gap Year Plan.
- Weekly online Gap Chats for social connection
- 1:1 coaching provided by Katherine
- Online guest speaker series developed by Gap Year Solutions
- Online skill-building workshops unique to Gap Year Solutions
Program Length: 13 weeks (September 14, 2020 through December 11, 2020)
Advanced Planning: Hourly Rate
Some families wish Gap Year Solutions to continue work after the Gap Year Plan has been finalized. Upon request, Gap Year Solutions will bill hourly for this work. We will conduct regular check-ins with the student and family to ensure we are aligned on direction, progress and timing.
Fees for the Gap Year Plan must be paid in full before we begin our research. Once work has begun, all fees are non-refundable.